THINGS THAT IN SPITE OF POPULAR BELIEF DO NOT DRIVE SPIRITS AWAY:
There are many things that people believe will drive away a ghost or spirit. Most of them simply are not effective at all, when a spirit is determined to hang around. Some may annoy the spirit, some may actually make things worse for you. Below is a list of things that we have found do not work to get rid of a spirit:
1. Holy water: this has no effect on a human spirit whatsoever. It may help with demon infestations, if you believe in them and believe it will, but not with the average haunting. Not every spirit is an evil spirit.
2. Burning sage. Sage only works on a chemical level to create negative ions which weaken a spirit. Sage alone, without the proper banishing prayers for an evil spirit does nothing but make the environment uncomfortable for the spirit for about 24 hours or so.
3. Lighting white candles. Spirits like candles and this will not do anything to drive them off.
4. Convex mirrors. Mirrors do not bother ghosts and spirits at all, in fact they use them to reflect and amplify their light and to manifest in them.
5. Garlic. Spirits are not going to be affected in any way by garlic. It can not affect them in any way folks. This is an old wives tale.
6. Having a priest bless the house, only works if the priest believes in the spirit that is haunting, and the spirit is an evil one. Human spirits that are not malevolent will not be affected at all.
7. Telling the spirit to leave. This only works for people who have the strong energy to project in order to push out the spirit. If you are afraid of the spirit, this will not work.
8. Putting olive oil crosses on the doors and windows. This will not affect the spirit, and will make a mess on your windows.
9. Pouring salt around the house/ Salt will only block a spirit's energy from moving a small object that is placed in a bowl of salt.This is because salt is not a conductor and blocks their energy from moving through it. Salt does not stop a spirit as they can float right over it. Salt simply does not work.
10. Putting religious objects around the home. If this actually worked then no one would ever be haunted for long, now would they? You can put up as many religious objects as you want but they alone will not affect a spirit at all. Statues, pictures and amulets have no power over a spirit, as they are just objects with no life force or energy of their own to project.
Any and all of these things, may not work and may even anger the spirit as they will know you are out to get them out of your home, and may take offense. The best way to get rid of a spirit that is being a pest is to ignore the activity and starve them out. Malevolent human spirits want the fear fix they get from the living. Lonely spirits want interaction. Both of these types will eventually get frustrated, when they do not get the reaction they want and move on. Human spirits with a message or a mission will not usually give up easily, and you may have to give them the chance to communicate what it is they need to be known, in order for them to move on. To do this call an experienced paranormal resolution team, in your area." Do not attempt to record EVPS in your home, it is like inviting spirits into your home. Call a professional and let them initiate any evp communication safely." To learn how not to feed a haunting, read the article titled "How does a ghost become a demon?" on this home page.